Sure, we all know what wardrobe essentials for work professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Collared women’s shirts are a classic for a reason — and whether you’re on the hunt for them as Zoom tops or for basic work outfits, we haven’t done a roundup in far too long.
Readers, what are your thoughts — yea or nay on collared shirts? If you’re going into the office, are they part of your work outfit rotation? Are you them out for the occasional Zoom call?
In the past we’ve talked about important issues such as whether the collar goes out or in, what color camisole to wear beneath a white blouse, how to keep white blouses white, some DIY options for gaping blouses, when to tuck your blouse, and 10 things to know about wearing button-front blouses.
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
Some of the Hall of Famers we’ve mentioned in the past include these lovely collared shirts:
- Hall of Famers: Hugo Boss, J.Crew, Foxcroft, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Universal Standard, Equipment, Tucker, Everlane,
- Under $50: Amazon Essentials (2400 good reviews), Clovery (1600 good reviews!),
- Under $100: J.Crew, Brooks Brothers (frequent sales), Ann Taylor, Hawes & Curtis, Everlane,
- Brands with interesting blouses for a splurge: Rebecca Taylor, L’Agence, Tuckernuck, Anne Fontaine, Tucker,
- Iron-free: Brooks Brothers, Foxcroft, Talbots,
- Organic: Eileen Fisher,
- Crisp collared blouses: Hugo Boss, J.Crew, Foxcroft, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor
- Silky collared blouses (spots to check): Equipment, Halogen, Everlane, MM.LaFleur, Banana Republic Factory, Mango, Vince, Uniqlo, The Shirt by Rochelle Behrens, Loft, Tucker
- Jersey collared blouses (definitely more casual!): Boden, James Perse, Eileen Fisher, — also check Eddie Bauer
- Bodysuits: J.Crew, Express, Amazon, Tuxe, Express, Venus
- For busty women: The Shirt by Rochelle Behrens, Bravissimo, Exclusively Kristen, Foxcroft
- Bespoke (custom tailored): Sumissura,
- Petite options: Hotouch (bad name but #1 bestseller!), Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor,
- Tall options: Ann Taylor, Lands’ End,
- Maternity: Lands’ End, H&M, Gap, ASOS (also check Target!)
- Plus sizes: Universal Standard, Foxcroft, NYDJ, Ralph Lauren, Lands’ End
Some of our favorite brands for silky collared blouses for women are below:
If you’re hunting for some of the best collared shirts for women in plus sizes, many of our favorites meet the bill!
Of course, gaping can be a problem with button-front shirts. If your bust is the problem, definitely check out some of the best blouses for busty women- we’ve rounded up some above but here are some pictures:
Another way to deal with that is some of our favorite products for gaping blouses, including these:
Some of the top products to help you fix a gaping blouse include:
Readers, if you’re a fan of collared shirts, which are your favorites?
Curious about older iterations of this roundup? Here they were in 2019 (modern blouses for suits), 2017 (best women’s dress shirts ) 2014 (silk button-front blouses), and 2013 (crisp button-down shirts).
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!